I’m sure you are familiar with the importance of vegetables and it’s healing powers in the body.
Looking good starts from within. It goes beyond the clothes we wear and the make-up we apply. That is what I call Healthy Styling and so today I present to you one of my favourites among the lots. Cucumbers.
This vegetable has been made very popular in Nigeria by budding young migrant Entrepreneurs or “Abokis” as most people refer to them. Lol. Anyways, originally a native of Southern Asia, this vegetable now grows virtually on every continent of the world and also comes in different shapes, sizes and colours. (Let me hint you, there are round and yellow cucumbers. Unbelievable right? Yes but not in this region of ours) Little wonder it has so many health benefits associated with it.
Come along with me as I unveil to you impressive benefits we can derive from cucumbers or green gold as I love to call it.
- It hydrates the body, because it is composed of 95% water, it tends to keep you hydrated on-the-go especially on those hot sunny afternoons.
- It is a powerful natural cleanser as it has diuretic properties which helps flush out oxidants and has also been shown to help dissolving some types of kidney stones.
- It helps in weight loss, especially with fat in the abdominal region.
- Placing cool slices of cucumber over the eyes especially overnight is an easy way of getting rid of puffiness and excessive bagginess
- Helps with cholesterol control, it contains sterols which helps fight against bad cholesterol in the body.
- Contains phytonutrients which helps protect against breast, prostrate, uterine, ovarian, and other types of cancer.
- Selenium, silicone and other minerals found in cucumbers all help with maintaining skin, nails, hair tone and texture.
- Helps in stabilising blood pressure, probably due to the potassium content
- Useful for diabetics as it is low in calories thus can help with optimal sugar control.
- Excellent for fighting bad breath and gum disease.
So whenever you are out there and come across an opportunity to buy a cucumber, grab a hold of it and get yourself some. You can add it to one of your daily consumptions as I do. Cucumbers can be eaten whole(my favourite style) or can be used to make a juice, or salads or you could even be more creative with it. When I was doing my National Service in Maiduguri in those days, I remember those Abokis dicing the cucumbers and spraying some suya pepper on it, it was divine, never would I forget such interesting memories.
Share with me how you eat your cucumber(s) or would love to eat them below. Some would prefer eating it with groundnut. Let’s discuss my people?
Thanks for stopping by, I enjoy reading your comments and suggestions.
Remember to be your best at all times! ! !